28 May 2012

A layout for book lovers...


I have only done a handful of double page layouts in the past but there was so much I wanted to fit into this one I figured I was going to need two pages. Click to zoom in on the pics.

"Use your library. You'll miss it when you leave."

Since I read this quote recently on Brain Pickings I had been thinking about doing a layout about my library, or more specifically, how my library makes me feel. I am one of those people who can't bear to give away or sell a book, so I have HEAPS on my bookshelves - luckily most of them are good reads. Originally I planned to use a single shot of our bookshelves, specifically the bespoke Jarrah bookshelves we had made by Wildwood Designs in Gladesville. These were a splurge but I think books deserve to live somewhere special. And it makes me feel happy and at peace every time I sit in the comfy reading spot with a big cup of tea, right next to all those gorgeous books.

I found these great papers from Bo Bunny's Weekend Market collection that I thought would fit the theme nicely. I inked around the edges in gold and used a Hemmingway quote for the title. 


I tried to get a nice shot of the bookshelves but as they are up against two big glass windows it was hard to get a decent photo looking into the light. I settled on an angled shot and made it monochrome to hide the crappy exposure. Under this is a vintage postcard from the 50's and a little doily (more vintage paper for sale here in the RaineCloud shop).


I have made a reading light from a Pink Paislee die cut lightbulb and some antique lace (more lace available in the RaineCloud store). 


On the right hand page I've used a dust jacket from a 1940's novel which opens to reveal my favourite books, each mimicking a little book themselves. The brads are from My Minds Eye.


You can see there is also a beautiful quote from Carl Sagan hidden inside the manilla envelope. 


Once you open the book...


I have printed eight 8cm x 6cm photos of my favourite books and fixed them to folded pieces of Bazzill cardstock to make little 'books'. Inside each one I have written about why the book is special to me.


My favourites:

To Kill a Mockingbird - Harper Lee
White Teeth - Zadie Smith
A Few Fair Days - Jane Gardam
The Dice Man - Luke Rinehart
Morvern Callar - Alan Warner
Running a Hotel on the Roof of the World - Alec Le Seur
Cannery Row - John Steinbeck
1984 - George Orwell

Have you scrapped some of your favourite collections? You're welcome to add a link in the comments section!




No comments:

Post a Comment