19 August 2012

Shadow box makeover!


In a past life this little box was a display cabinet for my shell collection when I was about ten years old. I've still got my shells in a big glass jar, but was at a loss for what to do with the cabinet for the past few months... it's been propped against the wall in my craft room waiting for inspiration to hit me.

It was a nasty dark wood and the shelves are so tiny that I didn't think it would be much good as a photo display. So eventually I just started painting it and look how it ended up! I'm still searching for the perfect door handles, but other than that, it's pretty much finished.

This was how it started off: 


I don't often do super-girly stuff but fell in love with the beautiful selection of flowers at D-Lish Scraps, so I bought lots of pink and red blooms and lots of fern leaves and went for a cottage garden effect.


Now I have a space to store all my washi tapes! Although the doors don't quite close with my tapes in there. The compartments are really too small for anything else though, so I don't mind if the doors stick out a little. I've used a Kaisercraft fence and clock which have been stained with Tim Holtz distress stains, and some other wooden flourishes that I've had for ages which have been stained with Dirty Martini Glam stain.


First up, I painted the lot in an dirty white / oyster kind of colour and did a bit of random glimmer misting and butterfly stamping all over the box. I left a couple of shelves unpainted and covered them with glitter gel.


There's a little Prima birdie on this side, and more bits and pieces on the inside of the doors as well, and in some of the shelves.


There's stamping on the glass doors, a wee porcelain owl from D-Lish in the top corner, some glass mushrooms and all sorts of other stuff going on. The whole thing took quite a while to finish (or maybe I'm just impatient), but it was worth it - I couldn't bear to part with that ugly little shadow box that held so many memories!


No comments:

Post a Comment